- Software as a Haunting (SaaH?) (06 Aug 2023), 2300-ish words
Summary: Rolling a possibly useful metaphor around.
- Affirmative Action in Gentle Terms (09 Jul 2023), 4900-ish words
Summary: Explaining to Supreme Court justices and other remedial students
- Why Care about Free Culture? (25 Jun 2023), 2900-ish words
Summary: Explaining why I often focus where I do
- Unraveling Universality (18 Jun 2023), 1900-ish words
Summary: No, you don't stand alone, even if you feel alone.
- Why Federate? (23 Apr 2023), 2000-ish words
Summary: Classifying social networks in a maybe-novel, maybe-useful way
- Great Ideas from Terrible Jobs (09 Apr 2023), 1500-ish words
Summary: Talking about some of my favorite career advice
- Modern Social Media Etiquette (26 Mar 2023), 2300-ish words
Summary: I try (maybe futilely) to head off serious problems
- Commenting Code (05 Mar 2023), 2300-ish words
Summary: Can we stop arguing about this?
- Five Phases of AI Grief (26 Feb 2023), 1500-ish words
Summary: Such a weird hype cycle
- Pejoratives and Specificity (04 Dec 2022), 2800-ish words
Summary: Trying to think through how we use certain words
- Things That Worked (and Didn't Work) in 2022 (27 Nov 2022), 2900-ish words
Summary: Taking inventory of habits for the year
- The Chains of Fear (06 Nov 2022), 1400-ish words
Summary: The fear inherent in trying to look strong
- Fearing Fear Itself (30 Oct 2022), 2700-ish words
Summary: Fear sells, but at a high price
- The Social Media Site of Record (04 Sep 2022), 1900-ish words
Summary: The dangers of editing tweets...for Twitter, not you
- Returning to the Fold (14 Aug 2022), 2700-ish words
Summary: An open letter to those finally tired of Republican antics
- Dying Is Easy; Redemption Is Hard (24 Jul 2022), 1300-ish words
Summary: What redemption means and why we get it wrong
- The Powder Keg (26 Jun 2022), 2200-ish words
Summary: Conservatives fail to do the math, every time
- Close Reading of Roe v Wade (15 May 2022), 5500-ish words
Summary: We need federal abortion laws
- Supporting the Right to Choose (08 May 2022), 4000-ish words
Summary: Progress on assorted projects
- Twitter Troubles, or the 280-Character Blues (01 May 2022), 3200-ish words
Summary: What to do with the social media site of record?
- The Care and Feeding of Plain Text (27 Apr 2022), 3700-ish words
Summary: Storing information for flexible use later
- Don't Feed the Invisible Authoritarians (24 Apr 2022), 1700-ish words
Summary: More media criticism
- The World's Slowest, Dumbest Botnet ⚠️ (20 Feb 2022), 2500-ish words
Summary: The shakedown (apparently) sweeping the globe
- Superheroes Behaving Badly (21 Nov 2021), 2700-ish words
Summary: When creators misunderstand their creations...
- Women Deserve Better Than Roe, Anyway (05 Sep 2021), 3100-ish words
Summary: Two wrong Supreme Court decisions don't make a right
- Age Cohorts, Ruining Things, and Apocalypses (15 Aug 2021), 3000-ish words
Summary: The enduring stupidity of age cohorts
- The Need for Modern Web Application Frameworks (08 Aug 2021), 3700-ish words
Summary: The state of the art must have changed...
- GitHub Copilot and Other Programming Doom (18 Jul 2021), 3800-ish words
Summary: It's the end of software...again
- Attracting Job Candidates (27 Jun 2021), 4400-ish words
Summary: How to hire your own John, or an off-brand equivalent
- Managing Priorities (13 Jun 2021), 4200-ish words
Summary: What is worth doing?
- Do the Work (06 Jun 2021), 2300-ish words
Summary: You're an ally? Show, don't tell.
- Winning the Twenty-First Century (30 May 2021), 4100-ish words
Summary: Systems of government that work
- Explaining Cryptocurrency (16 May 2021), 3100-ish words
Summary: A rundown, so that cryptocurrencies don't seem like magic
- Belated FSF Discussion (09 May 2021), 3800-ish words
Summary: My take on the Free Software Foundation/Richard Stallman issue
- Media Websites Wanted... (02 May 2021), 2900-ish words
Summary: I consider websites that seem missing
- Superheroes and Race (07 Mar 2021), 6200-ish words
Summary: Thinking about the prospects of a Superman reboot
- Explaining Gender to the Biased (28 Feb 2021), 1800-ish words
Summary: Social constructs, genders, and the like
- An Unexpected Case for Reparations (14 Feb 2021), 2300-ish words
Summary: The laziest case for Reparations
- ...Perchance to Dream (10 Jan 2021), 1800-ish words
Summary: An attempt at sleep hygiene
- Loving It and/or Leaving It and What “It” Might Be (15 Nov 2020), 2200-ish words
Summary: Considering what it means to like something
- Post-Election Reconciliation (08 Nov 2020), 1700-ish words
Summary: What to expect when we're expecting violence
- Politics in Art and Technology (18 Oct 2020), 1200-ish words
Summary: The Sargasso Sea of apolitical art?
- Voting as a Communal Activity (11 Oct 2020), 900-ish words
Summary: We don't vote correctly
- Personal Pronouns, Revisited (20 Sep 2020), 1100-ish words
Summary: I was probably wrong, so...
- The Fight of the Century (and The Last Century) (06 Sep 2020), 2800-ish words
Summary: How did we get here and where is here?
- Of Course Political Parties Don't Reflect You! (30 Aug 2020), 1500-ish words
Summary: Thinking about what democracy means as a practice
- Wanted — Ethical Media Consumption (02 Aug 2020), 2100-ish words
Summary: Theorizing about what "ethical viewing" might mean.
- Words Are Hard, I Guess... (21 Jun 2020), 2000-ish words
Summary: Breaking down terms that some people refuse to understand
- Sitting Is the New Blah, Blah, Blah (14 Jun 2020), 1200-ish words
Summary: I stand a lot. Maybe this is advice.
- Some Updates (07 Jun 2020), 1100-ish words
Summary: Additional thoughts on earlier posts
- I Have a Banana in My Ear! 🍌 (15 Mar 2020), 2000-ish words
Summary: Precautions always look stupid
- We Are What We Do (08 Mar 2020), 2700-ish words
Summary: Where labels help and where they fail
- On Electability and Complicity (01 Mar 2020), 3100-ish words
Summary: Who is electable? What makes supporters toxic?